Tuesday, June 07, 2005

MELISSA AT SHAKESPEARE'S SISTER was a bit unsure about whether she should publish her post about (a) her dismay at the photo on Daily Kos of two busty women throwing pies at each other; and (b) her anger at Kos's dismissive, patronizing response to the offense that Melissa and other women took to a supposedly liberal blogger showing women in such demeaning ways.

It’s the kind of thing that inevitably raises charges of angling for attention, fishing for links, trying to drum up controversy, etc., and really, all I want to do is vent about something that’s irritating me. Readers can take me at my word on that, or assume ulterior motives; that’s something I can’t control. I just felt, in the end, that it was important for me to stand up for what I believe—and every day on this blog I argue for gender politics to be recognized as legitimate and of equal importance to issues like Social Security. I can’t back down no matter at whom my ire happens to be directed.

Well, of course, Melissa DID post her outrage, because she never backs down from speaking out about an important issue because of what people might think about her. And I am glad that she wrote about this particular issue, because I agree with her wholeheartedly.

The photo in and of itself is not as offensive as Kos's reaction to being told that many women feel hurt, demeaned, angry, and insulted by seeing women portrayed in such stereotypically sexual ways by a blogger who supports progressive politics. Here is what Kos said:

Apparently, having two women throw pies at each other, wrestle each other in a sexy, lesbianic manner, then having water splashed on their ample, fake bosoms is degrading to women. Or something like that.

Whatever. Feel free to be offended. I find such humorless, knee-jerk reactions, to be tedious at best, sanctimonious and arrogant at worst. I don't care for such sanctimony from Joe Lieberman, I don't care for it from anyone else. Some people find such content offensive. Some people find it arousing. Some people find it funny. To each his or her own.

But I am not Lieberman. I won't sit there and judge pop culture and act as gatekeeper to what I think is "appropriate", and what isn't.

And I certainly won't let the sanctimonious women's studies set play that role on this site. Feel free to be offended. Feel free to claim that I'm somehow abandoning "progressive principles" by running the ad.

It's a free country. Feel free to storm off in a huff. Other deserving bloggers could use the patronage.

Me, I'll focus on the important shit.

And obviously, "the important shit" does not include respecting, if not agreeing with, thoughtful and heartfelt feedback about the disconnect between espousing liberal, progressive politics and portraying women in ways that emphasize the sex appeal of their body parts and de-emphasize the beauty that comes from seeing women as whole persons and not just tits and ass divorced from mind, heart, and spirit.

And talk about being thin-skinned! This guy is slamming the women who feel offended and demeaned by the ad, by calling them names! "Humorless, knee-jerk, tedious, sanctimonious, arrogant" -- gosh, I'm sure glad Kos is capable of civil debate about a point of disagreement!

But that's okay, because Melissa has some names to call, too:

...condescending…

Apparently, having two women throw pies at each other, wrestle each other in a sexy, lesbianic manner, then having water splashed on their ample, fake bosoms is degrading to women. Or something like that.

…dismissive…

Whatever.

…judgmental…

I find such humorless, knee-jerk reactions, to be tedious at best, sanctimonious and arrogant at worst.

…insulting…

And I certainly won't let the sanctimonious women's studies set play that role on this site.

…egotistical…

Feel free to storm off in a huff. Other deserving bloggers could use the patronage.

…and demeaning…

Me, I'll focus on the important shit.


And so will we. Thanks, Melissa.

No comments: