Thursday, March 09, 2006

FOX NEWS POLL: Most Americans do not want sweeping abortion bans.

A majority of Americans say they would oppose having a law in their state like the new South Dakota legislation that bans abortion in all cases except to save the life of the mother.

According to the latest FOX News poll, most Americans think abortion should be legal if the pregnancy was the result of rape or incest -- exceptions not included in the South Dakota law.

Here are the numbers:

Abortion for rape or incest: 74% say it should be legal; even 67% of Republicans say a rape or incest survivor should be able to choose abortion.

Abortion to safeguard the mother's life: 83% say it should be legal. (I have to wonder about the other 17% -- they would let the woman die?).

Abortion if the mother's mental health is at risk: A whopping 62% say abortion should be legal.

Abortion if the baby is unwanted: 43% -- surprisingly high given the relentless "pro-life" rhetoric -- say abortion should be legal.

Complete poll results are here.

No comments: