Friday, January 26, 2007

Bush Tells Congress: "I'm the Boss"

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Pres. Bush tells Congress re the troop surge:

  1. If you're against it, come up with a better idea.
  2. I don't like any of your ideas.
  3. It's going to be my way, because I'm the boss.
  4. If you're against it, come up with a better idea.

Thank God for conservatives who can think for themselves:

Dean Barnett defends the loyalty oath proposed by Hugh Hewitt. Since Hewitt is only appealing to Republican activists to put pressure on Republican senators who are leaning toward criticizing Plus Up, it seems a legitimate, if misguided, exercize to me. If your goal is Republican purity, it makes some sense, even though it would also mean the loss of several Republican Senate seats, if played out fully. Nevertheless, I wouldn't sign it because it assumes good faith on the part of the president (after the last four years, who can still believe that?) and assumes that Plus Up is in any serious way a solution to our problem (it isn't, I'm afraid). A senator's duty, therefore, is to say what he believes is in the interests of the country. Period. John McCain, who may been conned one too many times by this president, would be well advised to tell Hewitt where to shove it.

No comments: