Thursday, May 26, 2005

VIA ECHIDNE, writing on Eschaton:

The pastor of a small Baptist church has refused calls to take down a sign posted in front of his church reading "The Koran needs to be flushed," saying Tuesday he has nothing to apologize for.

"My creed is the Bible, which tells me I am supposed to stand up and defend my faith," said the Rev. Creighton Lovelace, pastor of the 55-member Danieltown Baptist Church in Forest City. "I don't hate Muslims, I just hate their false doctrines."

And I don't hate Christians; I just hate their narrow-mindedness, their intolerance, their hatred for anyone who is different, their repulsive efforts to convert the Jews, and their constant, never-ending efforts to turn my country from a representative, constitutional democracy into a Christian fundamentalist theocracy.

And to all Christians who agree with Rev. Creighton Lovelace, a question: Are you pleased to have your religious beliefs and your faith characterized as I have done above? No? Well, then, you would be well advised to remember what the central individual in your religion said: "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." And while you're remembering the Golden Rule, you can also keep in mind that Jesus was quoting Rabbi Hillel, who when asked to recite the Torah standing on one foot, replied: "That which is hateful to you, do not do to others. That is the entire Torah. All the rest is commentary. Go and study it."

No comments: